Personal and Group Awareness Class Expectations
Course Objectives: PGA is a Group Dynamics course. Students will learn what it means to be a member of a working group. They will explore their strengths and weaknesses. Students will be encouraged to take acceptable risks and “step outside of their comfort zone”.
The class will involve:
- Group challenges
- Individual challenges
- Low Rope elements
- High Rope elements
- Trust activities
- Cognitive challenges
Grading: A, Pass, Fail (N rule based on attendance).
Grading is based on the following criteria:
- Class attendance: Strict N rule will be enforced; students who receive an N the grade behind it will be an F. IF YOU ARE NOT IN CLASS YOU CAN’T BE A VIABLE MEMBER OF A TEAM.
“90% OF LIFE IS JUST SHOWING UP”-WOODY ALLEN
- Attitude – Students must be willing to try NEW things. To think a different way. To see things through the perspective of others. To understand that we don’t all think alike and that everyone has something positive to bring to a group.
This class is based on the Experiential learning cycle:
- “The What” – the problem
- “So What” – Concepts and Generalizations, solutions
- “Now What” – Transfer to New Situations
- Develop Concrete Experiences.
“I see, and I forget. I hear, and I remember. I do, and I understand.”